Thursday, May 2, 2013

An alternative Model for Time Management


The slow food movement has been around a while now. I love the idea. Meals that take a while to cook slowly are often the best, like the stews in Portugal. But even more I like the idea of eating (and drinking) slowly enough to savour and enjoy what the meal has to offer, while also securing nutritional and social benefits.

 

Last week I read that there is now a slow news movement. I think the idea is to cut yourself off from the daily noise every so often, especially avoiding the constant catching up now available via internet and smart phone. I can see some merit in this too, though it hardly seems to be as valuable a concept as slow food. But it did get me thinking about what other slow movements might make sense.

 

I have time to do this sort of thing now. Three years ago I chose to move from a time poor existence to a time rich one. Marketers use this segmentation, and I find it can be very useful. Most people spend their lives either in a permanent race against time, or in a situation where they feel the need to drag time out. It is quite sad really, that time, in a way all we have, becomes the enemy of most of us. You see time rich people dragging activities out, for example walking up and down each aisle in a supermarket, or painstakingly collecting coupons. Time poor folk multi-task and are looking for convenient solutions. It is not a coincidence that fast food and slow food have developed at the same time.

 

I feel blessed that in some ways I now have the best of both worlds. I have developed the useful habits of time poor people, with the learned ability to get tasks done efficiently. Modern technology helps a lot with this too. Yet I have lots of free time, which I am learning to savour. I make mistakes – many days I will still gobble down my breakfast before I remember that it is an opportunity for eked out joy. That first hour of the day can be such a pleasure if I allow it to be. But I am learning.

 

Time poor people in corporations are taught time management. Typically, the four box model used has importance and urgency as its axes. The logic is to avoid the trap of being swallowed by the urgent and neglecting the important but non-urgent tasks. The main technique seems to be compartmentalise time in order to reserve some for these high value things (usually high value for the corporation too, of course).

 

This approach misses at least two dimensions. One is joy, which I’ll discuss in this blog. The other is the value of maturing an activity. Will delay lead to a better result? Or will a fast or spontaneous approach often do better and remove a source of stress? Next time I’ll look more at the maturation axis, and also try offer some practical tips, for both time rich and time poor people, to make the most of these axes.

 

So, let us look at joy, or its converse, unwelcome stress. Does taking time over an activity make it more joyful? Or does rushing it add unnecessarily to stress? The answers won’t be the same for everyone. But it is worth reviewing frequent activities to work out where we might be missing out on joy.

 

Food is an obvious example of an activity that has much joy to yield, but many of us just reduce to as short a time as possible. Love-making is even more obvious, but hopefully most people don’t need as much reminding of that opportunity.

 

Slow meditation has become popular recently. Just focusing on breathing for some minutes each day helps us keep balance. If we want to add in some yoga for fitness or prayer for humility or wonder, that is just fine as well.

 

Slow travel is a great opportunity. Train travel can be so relaxing, simply because it makes time go more slowly than driving. I enjoy long plane journeys too – at least the part in the air. But best of all is walking. Whether in a city or the country, there is always something joyful to see, smell or listen to if we give it our focus and enough time. Last week I had a wonderful afternoon in Manhattan, just walking, with only a vague plan for destinations, but picking up good places to visit that I happened to pass, while observing the diversity of human activity, the cherry blossoms and the changing effects of light on buildings. I walked at a fair pace (better to keep a bit fit) but consciously avoided hurrying, so a traffic light or a slow pedestrian couldn’t stress me.

 

It does not surprise me that walking (at a reasonable pace) has now been found in a study to be more beneficial than running. It is a bit like slow food and its nutrition. I remember in my youth a craze for the game of squash, which is the polar opposite of slow. Even then I guessed that the total exhaustion after a game of squash was probably doing me more harm than good, and a litany of heart attack stories since appear to support that theory.

 

I think the slow approach is good for holidays as well, just trying to soak in the occasion, the location and the relaxation. About ten years ago my then family started to add a third week to our summer holiday, and the difference was immediate. About half way through the middle week layers of stress started to tumble off.

 

New York has also taught me to enjoy driving more too, or at least to minimise its stress. Here, the traffic light phasing is very slow, and disruptions are frequent, but somehow the system usually works and blockages eventually clear as quickly as they came. The trick is never to be hurried, but just let things happen. If I have a clear road I still go fast, but I don’t try to beat lights or game the road or other drivers. It might cost me a minute or two, but the result is I enjoy driving again. Listening to New Yorkers and their blaring horns, I suspect quite a few don’t.

 

Then there are slow hobbies. Isn’t it uncanny how gardeners, bird watchers or recreational fishermen always seem very balanced people? I don’t do any of these, but walking is similar in many ways.

 

Even slow sports have a role. Watching sports that develop slowly can give a lot of joy, test cricket being the classic example. But a long league season has similar tension in any sport. The US sports all build joy from tension well, especially towards the end of a match. I think it is illustrative how cricket has developed, with a fast option (twenty 20) and a slow option (tests) both doing well, at the expense of the traditional one day game, caught in the middle. I expect other sports to develop in this bi-polar way as well.

 

I love slow entertainment. Remember back in the eighties when Inspector Morse came onto the TV? Its magic was a two hour format, where action and suspense developed slowly and where characters were given space to develop. This ran completely counter to most other shows and created a popular niche. I’m delighted to say that the niche persists, and has been captured in the US by British programmes and films. Public service TV has a genre called Masterpiece, including all sorts of slow entertainment. We love it. I wish more movie and TV series directors would see the potential, since so many seem to just pack in as much action as they can. Lincoln was a good exception.  

 

Finally, there are slow friendships. I always think a good test of a friendship comes when you are together for quite a long time but without obvious things to do or talk about. Being comfortable in silence or spasmodic conversation is a great gift, and a joy. I have a new technique at parties now – things I used to dread. That is to wait for people to come to me, rather than trying too hard to find others. Just like with driving, or indeed with many pastimes, taking ones time can bring rewards and remove tension. Speed dating seems an alien concept to me, but then maybe that is another emerging example of bi-polarity.

 

So, how much joy are you missing out on? Even if you are time poor, I suggest there is lots of potential. Start with how you multi task. A lot of multi-tasking is good, and technology helps us do more of it. But are you losing your joy as a result sometimes? An example. I love walking. I love listening to my i-pod. And I love my daily cafĂ© latte (I am obviously becoming an American!). But sometimes I do all three at once, just because I can. And the result – I have just realised that none of the three are as joyful when I do them together. So now I sit in Starbucks a bit longer, and walk sometimes without the i-pod. On the other hand, a bath, reading and a glass of red wine seem to go together very nicely, thank you.

 
More next time about spontaneity versus letting things mature, and about how we might be able to use these different time management axes.

No comments: