Wednesday, June 30, 2010

In Praise of The Economist

I just adore the Economist. I've recently come to realise that I am now so sad that one of the highlights of my week is opening this magazine. Either I need to get a life, or this magazine is amazing, or perhaps both.

I don't know how they do it. First, how do they manage to get Thursday's news to my front door on Friday morning before 0700? (And of course, with quality comment, tailored for audiences round the world). This is impressive. I also subscribe to the Guardian Weekly (old leftie that I am), and those pathetic souls take until Saturday afternoon to get me news from Monday. Last week, for example, first I read about Hillary's comeback in the Economist, and the next day received the Guardian weekly leading on Obamamania.

Then the charts. Look at them. Always thought provoking. Beautifully presented. Imaginative in what they plot against what. Innovative in use of colours, scales, etc. Statistics found somehow from somewhere. My team are in this business, and I know this is tough. Those charts are brilliant.

Then, the journalism. At least to an English speaker, always concise, with a house style, and great humour (check out the article last week about Ipanema beach and the size of bikinis being related to the demographic balance).

They take bold stands and are not shy about it or politically correct. They hold the stands consistently, and (uniquely in my experience) they admit when they were wrong. If events prove them mistaken or force an opinion change, they never fail to point out their own failing.

Some of their stands are highly imaginative. They make connections across topics that others don't see, and draw insights that can truly be called thought leadership.

And the Christmas issue is the a pure joy. I read it slowly to savour it, and wanted tro start again when I'd finished.

In short, I'm in awe of this magazine. If you read good English and have never tried it, do so now!

No comments: