Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Masculine and Feminine Values

This blog might be a bit D&I sensitive, so I'd better start with a disclaimer.

I'm not intending to make any judgements about relative effectiveness of men and women, nor subscribing to easy archetypes without recognising that all humans are unique. When I refer to a value as masculine, it uses the adjective in the sense that it is something we might think of, maybe lazily, more descriptive of traditional perceptions of men rather than women. Think of it then as if in quotes. This of course varies by individual, as well as culturally and over time. As with all D&I stuff, the real value is to bring as many different perspectives to the table, hence having masculine and feminine values available in the menu in some balance.

Sorry about all that. Not like me to be cautious, but nowadays you never know.

Now I can start.

One way of looking at things is via masculine or feminine perspective. My favourite example is the whole theory and practice of diagnostic sales and marketing, as promoted by Prime resources, and as seen at its simplest level in Key Moments of Truth. I paraphrase diagnostic sales as teaching men to be more like women. The whole concept is around shaping outcomes through questions rather than statements. It is not just giving away power to the other side - the questions are smart, so they beg answers, and the answers drive the outcomes. With the bonus that the answer comes out of the mouth of the other side, so they think it is them doing the driving and so own the conclusion. Of course there is the other potential bonus that the answer might reveal more information to the questioner.

It is brilliant, and it works. It beautifully and simply describes the main gap between what we practice and effective behaviour. Not just in sales but in any discipline.

And isn't it just so feminine? Now boys, don't be shy, I'm not questioning your manhood! But, at least in the classic model, it is the feminine approach to get the desired outcome by shaping the discussion rather than dominating the agenda.

I wonder what would have happened if the world had evolved differently and women traditionally held all the senior sales posts. What would be the equivalent theory to help the women behave more like men? Something on closure? On trying to simplify boundaries? On being more competitive? It is a good question I think.

Anyway, the same test could be applied, with a grain of salt, to many management mantras and approaches. Look at LAT. Shared vision = feminine, focus = masculine, motivate /coach / develop = feminine, external mindset = feminine. Drive = masculine, Discipline = both, Delivery = masculine, Challenge and Support = feminine, competence = both. Overall, this feels very well balanced, if you agree with my allocation at least. Well done Jeroen and his support cast!

Now consider Shape, Simplify, Accelerate, and think about the last time you were developing a relationship. Nice thought, I hope. Who traditionally does the shaping? Simplification? Acceleration? There are all masculine, aren't they? Maybe shape can be both, but it is usually considered a forward move. Simplify is pure masculine, almost definitively so. And accelerate is very masculine too - patience and knowing when to strike are the feminine opposites.

I love Shape Simplify Accelerate. It feels to me just right for GS. But, I've started to wonder, is that because I am a man? Is it a man's prescription for a challenge defined in a male way? In which case, it is very likely an incomplete and unbalanced prescription. I wonder.

A related question. We are obsessed in GS with simplicity, and continually frustrated when we fail to deliver it. I wonder if that is again an overly male attitude?

We could do the same with other things. It would be interesting to look at different successful companies, and the balance in their mantras. Probably it would be censored by the D&I police, and I admit that this is very simplistic, but there may be some simple value here.

What do you think?

No comments: